Sunday 18 December 2016

18th Lexember Word

socú [so̞ˈd͡zuˑ], intransitive verb: “to be right, to be on the right side; to go/turn right“

Originally posted by tamamushis

Of course, today’s word had to be the counterpart of yesterday’s hayré. We talked about the left side, so now let’s handle the right side, shall we?

I actually have little to add in this case. Everything I said yesterday about hayré is valid for socú too. That includes the stative and dynamic meanings of the verb, me being unaware of secondary meanings of this word, and the absence of (in this case) positive connotations for the right side in the Mountain Folk culture.

This does not necessarily mean that they consider lateralisation to be irrelevant (in fact, I know that they do). The Mountain Folk simply do not consider one side to be inherently “better” or “worse” than the other.

No example this time either. I simply lack the inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment