Tuesday 24 May 2011

It was over so quickly!

Hello everyone. It's hardly been more than 24 hours since the end of the 4th Language Creation Conference (at least at the moment I'm writing those lines), but I'm already suffering from withdrawal symptoms! This has literally been one of the best weekends of my life! I've really had a blast, and I'm not saying that because I was the local organiser. It's not thanks to me that the first European LCC was a success, but thanks to you all guys and girls who attended and made it so damn great!

It was great to finally meet David J. Peterson and Sylvia Sotomayor face to face. Thanks a lot for making the trip so we European conlangers wouldn't have to! I hope you'll visit us again sometime! (there are still plenty of Dutch delights you haven't tried yet!)

From 4th Language Creation Conference
David eating Dutch raw herring for the first time!

The location (Infrahuis Noord) ended up working pretty fine I think. People did seem to enjoy the lunches in any case. Thanks to Thea van Koppen and her team for making us feel so welcome there and for always being so helpful!

From 4th Language Creation Conference
The entrance
From 4th Language Creation Conference
A tasty buffet

But of course, what made the conference such a success was the people who attended it. Presenters and participants alike, thank you very much for making the trip all the way to Groningen to meet us all!

From 4th Language Creation Conference
A partial group shot
From 4th Language Creation Conference
Thanks to all the presenters for daring to speak in front of us!
From 4th Language Creation Conference
Some of the material shown was incredible. I mean, look at the detail in the coastline of this conworld map!

Naturally, some of the greatest side-effects of such a conference are the informal evening outings. I really enjoyed dining and discussing with all those like-minded people. It's not often you can discuss the intricacies of the IPA in a pub!

From LCC4 Gallery
A big group of conlangers heading to the pub!
From LCC4 Gallery
And now we're all drinking and playing taliesin's card game [ɪpʼɑɸʊn]! I think I hurt my jaw that night trying to pronounce those impossible words (although most of them do actually come from existing languages!).

Besides doing the local organisation of this conference, I also agreed to do a presentation. I've got another post in the pipeline about it, so for now here's just a sneek peek:

From LCC4 Gallery
Yep! That's me presenting!

All good things must come to an end, and the LCC4 was unfortunately not the exception. I hope that everyone enjoyed it, and now that we've met face to face let's make sure this happens again soon!

From LCC4 Gallery
We were all there!

No comments:

Post a Comment