Friday 24 October 2014

Moten Word for the Day

nud /nud/, noun: “(extended) family, clan, tribe; bond, connection, affiliation; (abstract) link”

Given that by the time you see this post I’ll be in France visiting my family, I thought it was appropriate :). And in my case, I solve the issue by spending time with the non-dysfunctional part of my family ;).

In any case, as with any culture-laden word, it’s difficult for me to explain exactly what the Moten word nud means, given we know so little about Moten culture itself. As far as I understand it, nud doesn’t refer to the nuclear family. In fact, I’m not even sure Moten even has a word for that specific meaning. Rather, nud refers to something bigger, hence the glosses “clan” and “tribe”. I’m not even sure nud requires blood connections or similar (adoption). In fact, I’m nearly positive strong friendships result in becoming part of someone’s nud. Exactly how that works, though, I don’t really know.

As an extension of meaning, nud can also refer to connections and bonds in general, and not necessarily between people or even animals. In fact, it can even refer to abstract links in general (for instance when talking about the link between two events). The “family” meaning, however, is the most common.

Questions?


from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1zo415C
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment